The University of Cape Town Trust invites alumni and friends to join an online discussion with Professor Mamokgethi Phakeng, Vice-Chancellor of UCT. Prof Phakeng is disappointed not to have been able to host the Annual Reception in London this year, but is delighted to have this opportunity to update UK based alumni on how UCT is tackling the challenges thrown up by the COVID-19 pandemic and how it is contributing to the fight against the virus.
Date: Wednesday, 3rd June 2020
Time: 17h00 [UK time] – 18h00
Speakers: Professor Mamokgethi Phakeng, Vice-Chancellor, UCT
Professor Ed Rybicki, Director of UCT’s Biopharming Research Unit and Professor in Microbiology
Platform: Microsoft Teams
RSVP: Online by 1 June 2020
Prof Phakeng will be joined by Professor Ed Rybicki who will share news of the work being done at UCT on plant-based vaccine development. Professor Rybicki is a plant virologist by training, and a biotechnologist and vaccinologist by funding circumstances. He has extensive experience in molecular virology and virus diversity studies with plant, human and animal viruses, which led to his working with a number of vaccine and expression system platforms.
How to join and participate in the live discussion:
- Once you confirm your participation in the live discussion, a link to the meeting will be emailed to you.
- You do not need to have Microsoft Teams installed on your device. The link will take you directly to the meeting site.
Interactive Q & A:
- Please send us your questions for the Vice-Chancellor, ahead of the session.
- You can do this by populating the ‘comments’ box contained in the RSVP form.
- There will also be an opportunity to submit written questions using the chat feature, during the live session.
Please do join this occasion to hear about the exciting developments at UCT.